The healthiest foods you should buy – fresh fruit and veg – do not come with a label. Fresh ingredients will not list their nutriments, additions ( or lack of ) or boast that they’re good for you ( they don’t have to ).
Wherever possible, prepare foods yourself. You can know precisely what you are eating and nothing with a ‘healthy choice ‘ label displayed on it’s probable to be as upright – or as savoury.
Give your food an additional kick. If you are bored of your dinner, then you may either eat far too much of it, or eat way too much of something else after it, so that the best idea is to not lose interest in the first instance. That means:
- shop seasonally ( food in season is at its height of flavour and nutritive value )
- use fresh herbs and herb oils for instant flavour
- add zing with chilli, garlic, relishes and mustards
- cook with wine rather than fats, reducing it down and using its wonderful flavour to add depth and complication to stews
- use lemons to add a citrus taste, roasting them alongside chicken, grilling them with fish, and squeezing their juice over green veg and salads
- Lighten up a straightforward fish or chicken dish by turning it into a soup : the broth fills you up yet is really light.